Love-me!

Love-me!

Blog Archive

Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Boy Who Found the Great Ocean

Lead me from dreaming to waking.
Lead me from opacity to clarity.
Lead me from the complicated to the simple.
Lead me from the obscure to the obvious.
Lead me from intention to attention.
Lead me from what I'm told I am to what I see I am.
Lead me from confrontation to wide openness.
Lead me to the place I never left,
Where there is peace, and peace
- The Upanishads

*note* lovely story from Kenneth Folk...may all beings find the ocean in one lifetime.
In this story,the word Putujjana means ,,a human being,not different from others,,(this is the actual meaning in sanskrit)
-added by danny-
...........................

The Boy Who Found the Great Ocean

Putujjana had heard of the great ocean. On full moon nights the whole village would gather around the fire and Mighty Medicine Woman would tell stories. She told of a great ocean, far away, beyond four rivers.

One morning, Putujjana went to his mother and said, "Mother, will you tell me how to get to the great ocean?"

"I've never been to the great ocean," said Putujjana's mother. "I can't tell you how to get there, because I don't know."

Then, Putujjana went to his father and said, "Father, will you tell me how to get to the great ocean?"

"I've never been to the great ocean," said Putujjana's father. "I can't tell you how to get there, because I don't know."

So Putujjana went to Mighty Medicine Woman and said, "Mighty Medicine Woman, will you tell me how to get to the great ocean?"

But Mighty Medicine said, "I've never been to the great ocean. I can't tell you how to get there, because I don't know."

Putujjana asked, "How can you not know? You are Mighty Medicine Woman. You tell stories of the great ocean every full moon night."

"I tell stories because they were told to me," said Mighty Medicine Woman. "I tell stories. That's what Mighty Medicine Women do."

Putujjana was very disappointed. He decided to find the great ocean for himself. He would leave the very next day.

In the morning, before dawn, Putujjana left his family's hut and set out to find the great ocean. At the edge of the village, he was surprised to find his mother, his father, and Mighty Medicine Woman waiting for him.

"We're going with you," said Putujjana's mother, "to find the great ocean."

Putujjana was very happy. Together with his mother, his father, and Mighty Medicine Woman, Putujjana set out to find the great ocean.

After many days and much hardship, Putujjana, along with his mother and father and Mighty Medicine woman, reached the banks of the first river. They met a traveler from the other side of the river and asked him, "What's it like on the other side?"

"On the other side of the first river," said the traveler, "there are four seasons."

Putujjana's mother stopped. "The other side of the first river is not a suitable place for a mother," she said. "I'm going back to our village, where it's always springtime. But before I go, Putujjana, I will give you my blessing: May you work hard, and thereby attain your heart's desire."

Then she kissed Putujjana three times on the forehead and began walking back the way she had come.

Putujjana was very sad. He cried seven tears. Then, together with his father and Mighty Medicine Woman, Putujjana crossed the first river and continued his quest for the great ocean.

After many days and much hardship, Putujjana, along with his father and Mighty Medicine Woman, reached the banks of the second river. They met a traveler from the other side and asked him, "What's it like on the other side?"

"On the other side of the second river," said the traveler, "there is night, as well as day."

Putujjana's father stopped. "The other side of the second river is not a suitable place for a father," he said. "I'm going back to our village, where the sun always shines. But before I go, Putujjana, I will give you my blessing: May you realize that you and your heart's desire are one."

Then he turned three times in a circle and vanished in a flash of light.

Putujjana was very angry. He spat on the ground seven times. Then, together with Mighty Medicine Woman, Putujjana crossed the second river and continued his quest for the great ocean.

After many days and much hardship, Putujjana and Mighty Medicine Woman came to the banks of the third river. They met a traveler from the other side and asked him, "What's it like on the other side?"

"On the other side of the third river," said the traveler, "there is death, as well as life."

Mighty Medicine Woman stopped. "The other side of the third river is not a suitable place for a Mighty Medicine Woman," she said. "I'm going back to our village, where people live forever, and no one ever dies. But before I go, Putujjana, I will give you my blessing: May you give up your heart's desire, and in so doing, find a much greater gift."

Putujjana turned to beg Mighty Medicine Woman to stay. But she was already gone.

Putujjana was heartbroken. Without his mother, his father, and Mighty Medicine Woman, how could he go on? He could not go forward and he could not go back. He lay down on the cold ground for seven days and seven nights.

After seven days and seven nights, Putujjana got up, and alone, with no one to comfort him, crossed the third river and continued his quest for the great ocean.

After many days and much hardship, Putujjana came to the banks of the fourth river. He met a traveler from the other shore and asked him, "What's it like on the other shore?"

"On the other shore," said the traveler, "things are as they are."

Putujjana did not hesitate. He crossed the fourth river and found himself on the shore of the great ocean. He heard voices, and was surprised to see his mother, father and Mighty Medicine Woman floating on the waves in a wooden ship and calling to him, "Putujjana, come join us! We will sail the great ocean for all eternity!"

The young man who had once been called Putujjana smiled and waved. The great ocean was already lapping at his feet.



Kenneth Folk

1993