Love-me!

Love-me!

Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Unresponsive Buddha


*note* nice story from Pete Sierra..check out his blog.
-added by danny-
.........................

Unresponsive Buddha

A mendicant ascetic sat down where the Buddha
was instructing the monks. He listened attentively
until the Buddha finished and then admonished
the Awakened one to return to the life of austerities.
The Buddha listened in silence, bowed respectfully,
and left without saying a word.

Next day, the ascetic attended the sermon
again, and at the end reproached the Buddha for
his life of ease. Gautama listened in silence and,
again, left without answering. This scene repeated
itself every day for a month, until Ananda could not
contain himself any longer, and asked the Buddha,

“Master, why are you ignoring the questions of that
ascetic?”

“Ananda, if I answer him he will not understand and
will wander off still thinking he is right. My refusal
to answer keeps him here listening to us. As soon
as he is ready I will speak to him.”

Ananda feeling sorry for the ascetic who was by
this time visibly hurt and angry at the Buddha
approached him next day and said, “Please,
noble sir, don’t be saddened by my master’s
silence. He will answer all your questions
as soon as you are ready to understand.”

The ascetic laughed with scorn, “It is your master
who is learning from me, and who is afraid to
answer my questions, but fear not, I’ll stay here
for as long as it takes to instruct him.”

Ananda bowed to him and walked away
smiling.