Love-me!

Love-me!

Blog Archive

Friday, December 12, 2008

The smoking Sufi

Lead me from dreaming to waking.
Lead me from opacity to clarity.
Lead me from the complicated to the simple.
Lead me from the obscure to the obvious.
Lead me from intention to attention.
Lead me from what I'm told I am to what I see I am.
Lead me from confrontation to wide openness.
Lead me to the place I never left,
Where there is peace, and peace
- The Upanishads

*note* nice sufi story ..
-added by danny-
........................................

It happened like this, there was a Sufi saint called Ibrahim. You have heard of Ibrahim? In his ashram or his center, two disciples were sitting very morose in the garden one evening and one said to the other, “I want to smoke but we are on a spiritual path, how to smoke?” The other one said “Even I want to smoke; I don’t know what to do”.

Then they decided, “Let us go and ask the master whether we can smoke or not”, because in the past, there have been many Sufi saints who were continuously smoking. So next day evening, one disciple was sitting in the same spot in the garden, totally miserable, the other disciple came smoking. He said, “Hey! Why are you smoking? Master told me not to smoke” So the other disciple asked, “What did you ask him?” “I asked him if I can smoke when I am meditating”. He said “No”. “That’s your problem”, said the second monk. I asked him whether I can meditate when I am smoking, and he told me go ahead!!