Love-me!

Love-me!

Blog Archive

Friday, December 23, 2005

That kid knew something

"The ego is the single biggest obstruction to the achievement of anything," he said. "Between-ness is the act of acting without ego. You act, but you are not the actor. You do things, but you are not the doer--and you know you are not the doer. It’s the ability to hold the head at a dead standstill in order to effect certain changes. You desire the change, but you do not care if it comes to pass.

"Between-ness does not change the eternal fact. It’s a way of discovering the eternal fact. It occurs when you want what is right, independent of your own desires. There's a mechanism for holding your head in this half-way state, in between caring and not caring. You will it, then forget it--without fear of failure or hope of gain. Between-ness is the product of a lifetime of egoless-ness.

"Children know about this," he said. "I stayed at an orphanage for awhile when I was a boy to be near the Catholic school I was going to. I remember seeing this kid with his nose pressed against the window one day, saying, 'Snow, snow go away. Come again some other day.' The rest of us wanted it to snow, so I asked him why he didn’t. He said, 'I want it to snow, too, but if you want something too much, it knows, and you won’t get it."

He looked at me intently. "Did you pick up on that? He said ‘It knows.’ That kid knew something